The Legacy and Future of Hunter Douglas
When it comes to window blinds and window shades, Hunter Douglas is the name for quality when it comes to a window treatment. They are innovative and take the quality of functionality to its peak performance.
About Hunter Douglas
Hunter Douglas is a multinational corporation based out of the Netherlands. They specialize in making window coverings and designs. They were founded by Henry Sonnenberg is 1919 as a manufacturer of tools. It wasn’t until 1946 that a joint venture and new technology brought Joe Hunter into the business. Together, they started producing lightweight aluminum slats for Venetian blinds.
Window Treatment Systems
What sets Hunter Douglas apart from other window treatment manufacturers is the quality of their products and the care they take to make each product specific to the window. They also have a wide selection of products suited to any type of window.
Sheers & Shadings
Sheer shades and shades help reduce or control the amount of light entering a room. They provide UV protection for the items in the home and help diffuse the light received. The different kinds of shades are:
- Silhouette®Window Shadings are one of the leading brands sold by Hunter Douglas. They are made from sheer fabrics to help diffuse and soften the light. They are thick enough to provide privacy while protecting the home furnishing and residence from the harmful effects of the sun. The latest technology worked into these blinds shows that, with the right type of fabric, 88% of the sun’s harmful rays can be blocked by these window shades. This type of shade is a unique combination of front and back sheers which allows the resident to see out while maintaining the privacy of the home.
- Pirouette® Window Shadings are some of the more modern window treatments stocked by Hunter Douglas. These treatments are bolder in color and fabric. They have the Invisi-LiftTH included in their design which helps the vanes of the blinds slide up and down smoothly. Vanes are a good design to flatten a covered window. This flattening helps provide privacy while blocked up-to 81% of the ultraviolet light that is striking home. Pirouette® Window Shadings are an idea for darkening a room or making it semi-opaque. The style of the vanes and the types of fabric that get used dim the room light while providing a high level of privacy.
- Luminette® blinds are a perfect compromise of sheer beauty and smooth privacy. They have rotating vanes that are adjustable to allow the right degree of light to enter a dwelling. This type of blind offers diffused lighting and when combined with a PowerView® motor, blinds can be adjusted without anyone needing to be home. How the vanes are angled depends on the light received. If the vanes are angled to be more open than the sheer fabric of the blinds helps direct and disperse the light. This gives each room a soft glow while if the vanes are rotated to be closed than privacy and light is eliminated.
Cellular Honeycomb Shades
Cellular Honeycomb Shades are designed to insulate a window to help trap heat in for the winter or cold in for the summer. They create a natural layer of insulation between the window and the room to keep the room temperature controlled no matter what the season.
- Duette® shades are energy-efficient protection for the home. Their unique design and materials insulate rooms from the change of seasons and the elements. They are a natural barrier for privacy and their simple clean lines make this type of blind ideal for any type of room.
Roman shades are a more traditional blind that brings elegance and convenience into any type of home. They are simple elegance and are perfect for decorating any room whether it is a bedroom or home office. Hunter Douglas blinds show the quality of their products in how they complement a room
- Vignette® is a very modern type of Roman shade. They provide a clean look without added frills. They come without exposed cords for child safety and can come in a number of fabric types to let in sheer light, filtered light or darken a room to eliminate light.
- Vignette blinds are simple and practical and come in multiple styles. They can have 4” or 6” folds that are either full or flat. They can also roll up or be stacked neatly beneath their maintaining. They are made of durable fabrics that do not show wear as the blind does its duty.
- Solera® is a soft clean blind that is child safe with its internal lift cords. The fabrics come as woven and non-woven fabrics with a wide variety of textures, patterns, and colors. They are designed to be Bottom-Up and Top-Down depending on the needs of the home. This type of Roman blind comes with cellular construction which helps increase the insulation of the room and defuses the light. This keeps the room temperature-controlled and reduces the noise outside the home.
- Design StudioTM are specialty crafted blinds that are extremely flexible in design and style they have over 250 different fabrics and four different styles to choose from including Hobble and Flat, Batten Back, and Batten Front. They also come with a wide selection of valances and trims to complete the look.
- This type of Roman shade with its flexible fabric and design can provide light control and energy-saving benefits to whichever room it is added to. It is a perfect design and fabric combination to insulate any home.
Roller & Solar Shades
Roller and solar shades by Hunter Douglas are a clean and simple choice for window coverings. They are simple and classic in design and come in a large selection of combinations of colors, fabrics, and textures.
- SonnetteTM is a type of cellular roller shades. They are made to have two layers of fabric that curve into the window frames to help insulate a room. They come in 48 distinct colors that are offered as semi-opaque or room-darkening degrees of fabric thickness and color. These shades are made more desirable when they are combined with the LiteRise®, PowerView®, or SoftTouch® cordless shade systems. This help controls the degrees of light that enter a room simply and easily through a handy touchpad feature. The PowerView® cordless system also comes with a mobile app so it can be controlled through a smartphone.
- Designer Roller Shades by Hunter Douglas is one of the most customizable of their window treatments. They have clean lines and are perfect for a more minimalist space. There are 330 different fabrics to choose from. They range from opaque or sheer with the choice of bottom or top treatments. This type of roller shade also comes ready the custom clutch system which makes it easy to raise and lower the blinds without effort. It can also come with PowreView® remote control so the blinds and be raised and lowered no matter where the homeowner is. This feature keeps the home energy efficient and temperature controlled.
- Designer Screen Shades are very similar to regular roller shades. They can be raised and lowered with ease and offer ultraviolet light protection to any home. They can be customized to have any degree of light admitted to the room through the type of fabric used and the thickness of the material.
- Designer Banded Shades are alternative bands of a single shade of fabric. They overlap to help with privacy while helping diffused the natural light be ing admitted into the home. They are easily adjusted and can be raised or lowered completely. They are very customizable with a bold selection of colors, two different styles and three different sizes of the bands. The top of the designer banded shades is wrapped to help make this window shade blend seamlessly together into a home treatment that is perfect for any room.
Whenever wood is used as a window dressing, it adds a degree of warmth to the roo. They help make any room feel traditional and welcoming. They also can add a more modern touch if combined with more modern technology.
- Provenance® Woven Wood Shades are natural woods including reeds, grasses, and bamboo. They provide the fine texture look to the room while helping to insulate the window. They are available as three different forms including Vertical drapery, waterfall Roman and simple Roman. Having window blinds made of wood or a woven reeds helps control the temperatures of the room. Bamboo, in particular, is a perfect insulator and helps to reduce moisture buildup in the window. The blinds come with PowerView® operation so the blinds can be controlled from a smartphone. It can also come with UltraGlide®, EasyRise®, and LiteRise® technology for simple control over the window.
- Alustra® Woven Textures® is a very special type of window treatment. The fabric is gathered from all over the world and is available in multiple formats including Skyline® Gliding Window Panels, Roman Shades, and Roller Shades. These unique fibers help to defuse and filter lighter through screens and woven wood patterns. This type of blind offers a two shade barrier between the room and the window. This helps temperature control the room and provides an excellent degree of privacy.
Shutters provide a long-lasting choice for window dressing. They can come in a variety of styles and fit many different types of windows including sliding glass doors.
- Heritance® Hardwood Shutters are simple elegance for a home. They are classic in style and very popular because of their ability to last long periods of time. They are strong and come in over 35 different colors and finishes with shapes, horizontal louvers or sunbursts for the customized home.
- Pam BeachTM PolysatinTM Shutters are perfect for areas where humidity and a hot environment can damage more traditional window coverings. This type of shutter is ultraviolet resistant and are guaranteed to never fade, chip, crack warp, discolor or peel no matter what the temperature. When it is a Hunter Douglas shutter, they are a seamless addition to any smart home. They can come ready to use with the PowerView App which can give control of the blinds over to a schedule or to the simple desire to monitor the home temperature and function.
- Plantation Shutters are a combination type of shutter.They can be made of traditional wood or composite material for a more modern appearance and style. They can be made with the NewStyle® Hybrid style system. This makes the shutters more versatile for any home while adding beauty and a high-quality touch.
Vertical blinds are best used on sliding glass doors or very large picture windows. They are easy to design using several different types of materials for the best use of the window. These materials include aluminum, fabric, and vinyl.
- Skyline®Gliding Window Panels are a vertical blind that opens and closes on a smooth track while locking tightly together to reduce the amount of light admitted to a room. They are good for large and small windows and can provide a beautiful view or a complete diffusion of light and sight. They are available in screen-style fabrics and with over 600 different roller patterns.
- Cadence® Soft Vertical Blinds are like drapes but offer softer curved vanes. They muffle sound and provide a simple way to diffuse and control the amount of light entering a room. The headrails are a special design that makes these blinds easy to move while preventing light gaps.
- Somner Custom Vertical Blinds are the perfect dressing for a large bay window or a sliding glass door. They are easy to operate and offer almost complete control over the light entering a room. They have a large selection of colors, patterns, and textures available made of vinyl, aluminum, and fabric.
- Vertical Solutions® Vertical Blinds are available in 3 ½” styles with a combination of patterns and colors. They are made of different types of fabric and vinyl which makes them a smart choice for the more economical shopper.
Wood & Metal Blinds
Wood and metal blinds are made for the more traditional home. They are more rustic and offer a classic style that is considered timeless. HuterDouglas uses only the best wood, faux wood, and aluminum for their blinds with colors, slat sizes, and textures available for all types of home.
- Parkland® Wood Blinds offer a traditional feeling with their style and rich wood selection with a compliment to any home. They are fashioned out of warm woods that come in a wide range of colors and slat sizes. Each one can fit multiple sizes and types of windows while providing the home with a simple finished appearance.
- Everwood® Alternative Wood Blinds are made of faux wood. This is a classic style of blind made with composite materials that will not stain, warp, fade of bow as a regular would will in humid rooms such in windows that receive direct sunlight or the bathroom. They can come in any color and are customizable to have any type of operation that is desired for a home.
- Modern Precious Metals® are a collection of light controlled, clean window treatments that provide a wide selection of finishes and textures to choose from with a striking mixture of colors including metallic to a matte. The metal slats come with real wood options and with the PowerView® app it makes it easy to control and the extra de-LightTM feature helps block light effectively while hiding cord holes.
All of Hunter Douglas Window treatments are handcrafted in the United States of America and are covered by lifetime limited warranties.
Hunter Douglas Operating Systems
The operating systems installed in Hunter Douglas products are top of the line products that make using their window treatments easy.
- PowerView® Motorization is its wireless operating system that adds power and control to a home. This allows for remote operation of window treatments from a remote control or a smart device. The system can be set to automatically run at any time of the day or for use throughout the day.
- UltraGlide® is its smart cord monitoring system. The cords can be raised and lowered using retractable cords or wands so they are not left dangling and exposed.
- LiteRise® is its cordless system. This allows for blinds or shades to be raised and lowered with just a hand. They also stay put where you put them.
- Duolite® is the ultimate product for light control. It filters light as it is wanted or needed and has room-darkening fabric for complete privacy or nighttime sleeping.
Hunter Douglas and Safety
Hunter Douglas considers the safety of its products as part of their job. They have developed cordless and motorized operating systems that can retract, hide or make cords non-existent. This protects rooms where children live and play in regularly. It adds protection to the home when children are safe to play without the blinds causing problems.
Hunter Douglas Recap
Hunter Douglas products are designed to last a lifetime. They are also intimate pieces of a home that help finish rooms and make the entire house into a home. They are top-quality blind and shade manufacturers that leave families safe. They are also working to be at the forefront of technology to keep their products part of the family home in a way that works for the modern family.